Friday, July 12, 2013

Frozen Paint

!!!Frozen Paint!!!

My little dude loves getting messy. If I want him to do any sort of art project for longer than 3 minutes I have to make sure it is something he can really get his hands dirty with. Lately since it has been so hot I've been trying to add frozen items to our projects!

Today I dragged out brown butcher paper and used frozen paint for him to play with. He loved it! It was such an awesome project to be able to watch the paint melt and really have the colors start coming to life! I used silicone heart shaped molds that I bought from the dollar section at Target years ago. I've also used these to make crayons before too since they are able to be used in the oven.


After he was done painting the paper with the paint he asked to put them in our water tub. From then he destroyed them but crumbling them and laughing the rest of the day. What an easy project to do!

We were able to talk about science when we watched the paint dissolve in the water and melt in the sun. He was able to help his fine motor skills along when he painted with the hearts and had to keep rearranging his little fingers to hold the frozen heart so it wouldn't slip away. All together a really fun event! I already have more frozen and ready to go in the freezer! I also can't wait to freeze other cool things and see how they turn out!!

Hints!!
-I added water to the paint so I wouldn't waste all the paint and so it was dissolve better in the water. 
-To make the layers you have to wait for the first layer to freeze before you can add anymore paint. 

Ways to enhance!!
-Add cups to put the frozen paint in. 
-We used squirt guns and eye droppers to squirt at the frozen paint as well and what little boy doesn't like squirt guns?? 


No comments:

Post a Comment